Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Book of the Dead

The book of the dead consists of papyrus scrolls that were found in tombs of important individuals from the 
New Kingdom period. A nobleman and his wife want to make an offer to Osiris in order to win his blessing in the next world. Both of them wanted to live peacefully. " I shall wake up in contentment; I shall not putrefy; my intestines shall not parish; I shall not suffer my injury. My eye shall not decay; the form of my face shall not disappear; my ear shall not become deaf..."

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the speaker's words, "I shall not" remind you of the wording in The 23rd Psalm? Is this speaker as confident about his deity as King David was about his relationship with Yaweh, i.e., that David would NOT want, or lack anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are similar in that they are both prayers to a deity. But there are differences. David had no fear, and held complete confidence in his God. The speaker in the book of the dead, however, sounds fearful and pleading towards his deity.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. he sounds pathetic

    ReplyDelete
  5. This a great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Book of the Dead connects to humanities in the fact that this man is relying on this god for his own happiness in his afterlife. It shows the intense dependence on deities and his lack of comfort in continuing on into the afterlife.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Psalm 23 is my personal favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more of a Psalm 24 type of guy

      Delete